Shallum and His Daughters


I'm studying the book of Nehemiah and as I was reading chapter 3, a verse stood out to me.

Next to him Shallum the son of Hallohesh, the official of half the district of Jerusalem, made repairs, he and his daughters. Nehemiah 3:12

Chapter 3 of Nehemiah is about building - everyone pitching in to accomplish God's plan. Man after man is mentioned - Meremoth the son of Uriah, Meshullam the son of Berechiah, Zadok the son of Baana, Joiada the son of Paseah, Uzziel the son of Harhaiah...you get the picture. Then you get to verse 12 and you see the first women mentioned. The daughters of Shallum.

I told the girls in Bible Study - if I grew up in ancient Israel, THIS would totally be my family.

I don't think my dad ever missed an opportunity to get his daughters involved in his ministry.

I remember one summer several widows or elderly couples in our church were moving and didn't have family to help them move, so they asked their minister. And he brought his daughters. I remember thinking, if my dad had sons, they would be the ones lifting sofas and dressers. But he didn't. Just like Shallum, he had daughters.

I learned to play Dominos at the nursing home in Anthony, where Dad and I would challenge two avid players.

When he preached at the hospital service, he would bring all three of us - Jordan and I would lead singing and Laura would play the piano.

We each got our turn helping him deliver Friendship Meals in the summertime.

Kelly Minter, the author of my Bible Study book, said:

The scene of Shallum and his daughters working together to rebuild the city of God needs no embellishment. It is simply beautiful.

Comments