Where is Your Refuge?


Last summer I was on a hike in Arizona and about 1/3 of the way through, it started raining. I am NOT an experienced hiker. I hadn't brought a jacket or a visor. I trudged ahead, keeping my head down to avoid the rain, but it still dripped into my eyes. Finally, I took refuge under a rock shelf. It felt so good to be protected from the rain for a few minutes.

I've been thinking about the word 'refuge'. The definition is shelter or protection from danger, trouble, etc.

Life can be like crossing an ocean, we encounter waves and storms and dangers. There are many points in life when we seek refuge.

I think many people seek to find refuge in their homes - a safe place away from the troubles of the world. I think many people seek refuge in wealth. But some homes are a place of strife and turmoil and wealth is easy to lose.

The Bible calls God our refuge over and over and He is an unchanging, all-powerful refuge.

Psalm 94:22 But the LORD has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take refuge.

Comments