God Doesn't Want or Need Us to Handle Things Alone


Luna Lovegood: [about her father] We believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him, and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you and Dumbledore.
Harry Potter: Thanks. Seems you're about the only ones that do.
Luna Lovegood: I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel.
Harry Potter: What do you mean?
Luna Lovegood: Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat.

The reality is, we are all going to face really difficult circumstances at some point in our lives.

losing your job, the death of a child, divorce,
cancer, marital infidelity, bankruptcy,
betrayal, financial difficulty, sickness,
suicide, natural disaster, addiction

The list of painful, difficult circumstances could go on forever, and so often, we feel alone. Sometimes our circumstances feel overwhelming, threatening to drown us. And we have a whole list of reasons why we should try to handle them alone.

I don't want to bother other people with my troubles.
This is a private family matter.
I can handle this. I can get through it on my own.
There's nothing anyone can do to help me.
I feel guilty or embarrassed.
No one else understands what I'm going through.
If I tell people about this, they'll judge me.

These excuses are from Satan. He wants to keep you isolated. He wants you to feel alone and discouraged. Don't let pride keep you from God's commands. Here is what God says on the topic:

Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
James 5:16

In the past few months, I have asked Christian friends to pray for me and I've had the opportunity to pray for others. Every time we exchange prayer requests, I'm reminded that I'm not alone and that God is bigger than any circumstance.

Comments