Change is . . .


Changes in our lives, or times of transition, can be scary. It can be stressful and difficult. It can be uncertain. It can also be good.

I've been through several changes recently. I went from living in a small, familiar, rural community to living in a city. I went from having roommates to living alone. I changed from a house to an apartment. I went from living near all my family to having my family scattered. I went from a small church family where I knew everyone to a very large church family where I don't know anyone.

Change is difficult for me and it's easy to focus on the scary, stressful and uncertain parts. The good part is - this time of transition has brought me closer to God. It's made me dependent on Him. It's brought my priorities into focus.

It reminds me of when my faith first became my own. I have been a Christian all of my life, baptized at age 7. But it was the summer before my freshman year of highschool that I started reading my Bible, praying and getting to know Jesus on a personal level. Why that summer? It was a time of transition. I was very nervous to go to highschool. I had to ride a bus. My class would be combined with kids from another town. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors seemed so much older than me. Those feelings of anxiety were not fun - but I'm thankful for them.

During that summer, I read these verses over and over: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

I read them enough to memorize them! Every time I am faced with change and anxiety, I am able to recall this verse and take comfort.

Times of transition in our lives always give us an opportunity. If you're going through changes in your life - seize the opportunity to grow closer in your relationship with the Lord.

Comments