I'm Just a Bad Person

When faced with consequenses of bad decisions, I've heard people say, "I don't know why I did that, I guess I'm just a bad person."

The implication is that nothing can be done. They think, "I will never be righteous, pure, or Godly. With my past, I won't go to heaven. There are a lot of good Christian people around me, and I'm nothing like them. I'm a bad person."

Here's a secret I'm going to bring to light: We're all bad people.

Romans 3:10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one."

Romans 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.

Ephesians 2:3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Recognizing that you are a bad person - that you have a sinful human nature - is a critical juncture in a person's spiritual life. It should bring about a sense of sorrow. And that's the best thing that can happen. In 2 Corinthians 7:9, Paul writes, "I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance . . "

Don't let the admission that you are a bad person become an excuse for bad behavior. Recognize it as a first step in a process that leads you to salvation through Jesus.

Comments