Promises You Don't Intend to Keep

Sarah: "Hey, I'm having a party this Friday night and I'd love it if you could come. Do you think you'll be able to?"

Alissa: "Sure! Sounds fun - I'll see ya then!"

Jane: "Alissa, are you really going to that party?"

Alissa: "No way - it sounds boring, besides I already have plans with Jim!"

I see this practice happen all the time and it's always bothered me.

1. It's a LIE.

2. It shows a lack of integrity.

3. It's a bad witness.

4. It hurts the person you're lying to.

5. It hurts your reputation.

People in this situation rationalize their actions by saying: "I didn't want to disappoint them" "I might go" "It's just easier to say I'll go". No matter how you rationalize, you're still lying. As Christians, we should strive to be known as honest people. If people can't trust that we'll do what we say we will - why would they trust us when we tell them about Jesus?

Jesus said, "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." Matthew 5:37

Next time you're tempted to tell a lie, because it's easier, think about the consequences . . . and try telling the truth!




Comments